Rhin

Rhin

Merchant of Venice (Arden Shakespeare: Third)
John Drakakis, William Shakespeare
The Assassin and the Princess
Sarah J. Maas
The Name of the Star - Maureen Johnson 4,5 stars.

I liked this book more than I thought I would. Now, when I first started, I felt like this book was going to be a hit - Jack the Ripper, people, what can go wrong? Then I read a few reviews, and I became worried. What if it was not as good as I wanted it to be? Not as good as I was hoping? That made me lower my expectations a bit, which was probably a good thing, otherwise I would maybe have had to take away a star.

Aurora - Rory, as she prefers - has moved all the way from Louisiana to London after her parents got a fantastic idea about a year abroad in England. She got to choose herself where she wanted to go, and her choice fell on a boarding school in London, while her parents went to Boston. Things in London, though, were not very good. A woman was found murdered the same day that Roy arrived, and in a way that's horrifyingly like Jack the Ripper's first victim. Rory, though, is not very scared. That is, until she sees the murder. The worst? Her friend, Jazza, does not see him.

I was able to connect very well with Rory's character. That is because I myself have moved to the other side of the globe, to the big United States, so I knew how she felt. It is hard to move that far away, and you feel like a stranger for a long time. Rory was struggling a lot with her feelings of being a stranger in England throughout the novel, and her feelings of wanting to belong. I could very much understand these.

- will continue -