Rhin

Rhin

Merchant of Venice (Arden Shakespeare: Third)
John Drakakis, William Shakespeare
The Assassin and the Princess
Sarah J. Maas
Slide - Jill Hathaway 3.5 stars.

An ARC was received by Harper after winning the Goodreads Giveaway.

Slide is one of those books that left me with a feeling of not knowing what to do. When I clicked that I had finished the book and Goodreads asked me what I thought, I felt that I didn't know what to do. I didn't even know how many stars I wanted to give the book. You see, it is a very hard book to handle, but let me go over that.

Sylvia, better known as Vee, has a gift or a curse, depending on how you see it. If she touches something when she get's one of her dizzy/faint spells, she 'slides' into that person. Sliding does not make her able to move the other person's body, though, it only makes her able to see what is happening from that persons viewpoint. She is unable to hear their thoughts and unable to do anything, no matter what they are doing. This is also the case, when she one night slides into the body of a killer. She can see Sophie, her younger sister's best friend lying on her bed, her wrists slashed, and the killer writing a note, making the murder look like suicide. When she slides out, she knows she cannot tell anybody, Vee is the only person who knows that it was not suicide. But how do you solve a murder you cannot tell anybody about?

The first thing I will say that intrigued me about this book was probably the plot. It had a fantastic pace with just enough happening. It felt effortless, and the great pacing made it hard to put the book down. The writing was captivating too - from page one, I wanted to continue reading, and as the plot advanced I found it gradually harder to put it down, even for such trivial things like eating. It was interesting, and it kept me reading it in one long sitting, only with small breaks. Also, I know that the idea about 'sliding' into other people are not unique, but the book felt very different from other books, maybe because the sliding was used as part of a murder mystery. I personally felt that this novel was a very strong debut novel.

The bad things are there, though. For instance, the lack of parents around felt very forced. Now, I understand that the mother died and I understand that the father was a workaholic. The thing I felt was very unbelievable, though, was probably his reaction to his daughter losing her best friend. Instead of hurrying back home, he stays. I understood that. He is a doctor, a surgeon, and he was saving somebody's life. That is very important indeed. What I felt was just wrong was how he continued to go to work, while his daughter was clearly dissolving in front of his eyes. He hardly made any effort on helping Vee's little sister, Mattie, he hardly even talked to her, even when he was home.

There was also the love. Oh, the love. We had one of those cases of insta-love again. The moment that Vee laid eyes on lovely, handsome Zane, she was in love. She was talking about feeling funny already after the second meeting, and it all felt very unreal.

With that being said, though, I want to compliment the book on one thing: it started out with some horrible, horrible prejudges. You see, Vee used to be a cheerleader, a gossipy girl, and she labels everybody who is now a cheerleader or popular. They gossip, they only like fashion, they are airheads and they are generally bitches. It is but one person, that she thinks this about, Sophie. Now, this all sounds like bashing, but really, it is not, because you know what? She learns! She changes throughout the story, and she learns some very valuable things. Like, how important your family is, especially when you have lost an essential part of it, and that you should value your friends. She learns that all popular kids may NOT be airheads, and even though cheerleaders were still portrayed as sluts (a thing I find highly unforgivable, just because you are a cheerleader, you are not sex-crazy, nor do you love drinking booze), Vee gets a newfound respect for them.

I also found Vee an okay main character. She had her struggles, and she had her feelings, she was very true to herself and she really did try the best she knew to help solve everything. As soon as she learned to appreciate her smaller sister, I also felt her change into a much more caring person that I actually ended up caring for myself. The only thing I felt was irritating was how she often had self-pity parties (some of them I understood, some of them she scolded herself for, so it was okay), and how she kept on talking about how hot Zane was. Apart from that, I found her to be a very reflective kind of person, and a very thoughtful, though maybe a bit evasive and introversive. She was definitely a flawed main character, but that is how I like them best - with flaws. I don't want to read about a Mary Sue, we have enough of them already.

So, all in all, I felt that this book was a very solid debut novel, and I will definitely be reading the second book in the series, even though I actually think it could have been a stand alone book. But let's see, Jill Hathaway definitely did a good job with this one, so I have faith in her writing a good companion novel.