Rhin

Rhin

Merchant of Venice (Arden Shakespeare: Third)
John Drakakis, William Shakespeare
The Assassin and the Princess
Sarah J. Maas
Virtuosity - Jessica Martinez This book was meh. Not anything too special, but not bad either. There were small glimmers of hope, but they never really did it for me. It might be because I have only really read very fluffy chick-lit (since I hardly ever read it), or it might just be because the word 'violin' made me have too high expectations, that the books did not hold up to. Nonetheless, it was not bad, it just was not a book for me either.

So, Carmen is a fantastic violinist. Her face is plastered on several covers in all music stores and she won a grammy, but her biggest challenge is yet to come: she is to play in a very prestigious contest and if she wins, her future is secured for the rest of her life. So now is not the time to fall in love, especially not if the boy you're falling for is the enemy - the only other violinist who might be able to beat you.

I did never really connect with Carmen. She was so angry, drew conclusions so fast, and kept on acting out and then saying that that was not how she usually behaved. She also kept on telling us that she was shy, but we hardly ever saw her shyness. With that being said, she wasn't a bad character, and there were moments where I felt bad for her, but just not enough to actually care.

I think the real problem was the guy, Jeremy. I know he is what a lot of girls would want a guy to be, but to me he never felt real. He felt more like a dream - something a girl would want a gut to be, but not how they really are. There were also all the character changes. He would go from acting all high and mighty to sensitive and caring. I do realize that guys can be sensitive and caring too, but the girl he had met - who he supposedly fell in love with, he had only known for about... what? Five days, I think, when he acts all out. Their relationship was progressing way too fast, and it never felt realistic to me. I never felt them fall in love - it was as if a tornado blew in and pointed at them, said something like 'be in love, or I'll eat you!'. Yeah, great images. But they knew next to nothing about each other. Sure, they talked, but still, there was not really any spark there, no familiarity. I think I would have preferred it, if the author had taken the more cheesy solution and had made them long lost childhood friends, because really, that would at least have felt more real.

But overall, the book was not bad. Two starts means it was okay. Meh. Jessica Martinez writing was okay. Sometimes it had it's strength, but mostly it just faded out. Too little happening to keep me interested. I skimmed part of the book, simply because it was not interesting enough. Though, I would say that people might really like this, if they're more into girly books. I seldom read chick-lit (which I am really counting on this one for being, because otherwise I don't know how to shelve it), and only have a little interest in the genre. People who generally like this genre might find that they'll fall in love with this book.