Rhin

Rhin

Merchant of Venice (Arden Shakespeare: Third)
John Drakakis, William Shakespeare
The Assassin and the Princess
Sarah J. Maas
The Lightning Thief  - Rick Riordan I should really write a review for this book. I mean, it is one of the few ones I have read more than once, and I think that even though I am currently re-reading the whole series (I still need to re-read the Heroes of Olympus series, but I digress), I still think I could give it another go.

So, Percy Jackson has had a lot of weird thing happen to him, but he has just figured that he has the worlds worst luck. That is, until one day his Math teacher suddenly turns into a monster on a field trip, and accuses him of stealing something. But no worries - his latin teacher is there to throw him a pen that turns into a sword. Now Percy must travel to a camp for his kind, Demigods, sons and daughters of the old Greek gods, who are still very much alive. Sounds like one hell of a ride? It has hardly even started.

Percy Jackson took me by surprise. I was quite late to read the book - I think the move was out and in the cinema when I finally decided to read it. Something about being bored in Heathrow airport and apparently having some money to spent. So I bought the first four Percy Jackson books, because who cares if I like the series or not, I just want to own them. Luckily, I loved the series. But I did have my doubts. First thing first, I mainly read books set from the girls perspective because, well, I am a girl and I have an easier time bonding with a female heroine. That being said, Harry Potter is my favorite book, so I thought I would give these books a chance. After all, not all books make it onto the big screen, and they could be good. Good thing that they were.

The thing I was maybe mostly surprised by was how relatable Percy was. The story is set in first person narrative, and again there is the whole issue about gender and the fact that while I was... 14? 15? Percy was only 12, and therefore in every kind of way not the kind of person I should be able to relate to. But I did. Percy's voice have a way of drawing you in. He is not very descriptive in his narration, and he uses several teen words (though not at all like House of Night), combined with that he often show you thing in a fast pace, you would think that it would be hard to follow him, but in reality it is very easy. Rick Riordan has a way with words - the story is told in a lighter tone (though it does get darker with every book), and there is a light mix of humor together with a fantastic number of different Greek myths. While telling and action-packed and fast paced story, Rick Riordan still manages to hold the tone light, and to make sure the reader is never too overwhelmed.

Then there are the myths. Oh, the myths. Now, I am a bit of a Greek myth nerd. We have a subject in Denmark that is entirely dedicated to one years study of Greek and Roman myths (and Greek and Roman architecture), that everybody is required to take, so apart from my own reading on the subject, I also had some... let's just call it extra knowledge. Now, this book is based upon the Greek myths. It's entire pillar is made of Greek histories and explanations on how they apply to our modern world. Rick Riordan does a splendid job of blending the Old Greek and the Modern World together. I cannot remember one single thing I was disappointed about - even the things that does not fit have explanations, not all of them quite as prominent as one would think, but enough to make up for when the mythos is not always correct, we are all to remember too, that there are often many different versions of the story, the one that I may have read may not be the one that Rick Riordan relies upon. Generally, the book oozes of research, and it was wonderful to read. Together with that, it brings Greek Mythology to a whole new level where even younger children can read and learn. The Iliad is definitely not for children - they would probably have a hard time understanding what was happening, but the Percy Jackson books? Definitely for even children. These books will teach people about Greek mythology while keeping them entertained.

And then there are the characters. I have already said how relatable Percy was, so I will not go over that again. I think you already get that I liked the guy, but there are so many other characters in play. I liked the modernization of the Greek Gods and of the monsters, and I really liked Percy's sidekicks. It took me a while to warm up to Annabeth, but when I did, I just did. I liked Groover instantly, he was very likable, and he had his own way of charming himself into my heart. He kind of has a catchphrase (FOOOOD), and it makes him even funnier and more awesome, at least in my eyes.

If I had to point something out about the book that I did not like, it would probably be Catch the Flag, but that is just basically because it is not anything I find interesting. I do appreciate it for being a part of the story, but it was just not really part of what I wanted to hear about, but apart from that, I think Rick Riordan handled everything to perfection. This is a book I will definitely be re-reading again and again, and that is a big thing for me to say, since one of the only book series' I have been able to re-read has been the Harry Potter series. But this series is probably my second favorite, right after the Harry Potter series. and with that, I think I'll stop this review, because it's 2 AM, and I think I'm rambling. Possibly a big revision tomorrow after my head is not trying to fall asleep, but we'll see.