Rhin

Rhin

Merchant of Venice (Arden Shakespeare: Third)
John Drakakis, William Shakespeare
The Assassin and the Princess
Sarah J. Maas
The Diary of a Young Girl - B.M. Mooyaart, Eleanor Roosevelt, Anne Frank This is a book that I had a hard time rating. How do you rate another person's misfortune? Another human being who actually had to live through and experience what you read in her diary? I almost feel as if I betray the memory of Anne Frank by only giving it four stars, because what she had to go through deserves five stars. What she had to go through was horrible, but I am not rating what she had to go through. I am rating what I read, and I am rating as a reader. Therefore, four stars.

I first read this book in second grade. It was my teacher who recommended it to me. He could see that I was bored by what I was reading, and he thought this book might hold a challenge. It didn't. I was too small to understand, too little to know what exactly I was reading. Sure, I knew it was the diary of a Jewish girl who was locked in a secret small apartment during World War II. I knew it, but I didn't understand it. Since then I think I tried re-reading it in fifth grade, and then, now. This time I understood it much better. I understood what Anne Frank had to go through and I had knowledge about what happened during the war, what the Jews had to go through, what everybody had to go through. Therefore, I also felt much more compassion towards the people locked in there.

There is really little to say about the book. This is the sad story of a girl who died way before her time, a sad story of a girl who should not have died. It is raw with emotions - we are reading her diary, so of course it would be - and I feel that everybody should read this book. To get a first-point view of how it was, how scary and how lonely it was.