Rhin

Rhin

Merchant of Venice (Arden Shakespeare: Third)
John Drakakis, William Shakespeare
The Assassin and the Princess
Sarah J. Maas
Don't Expect Magic - Kathy McCullough I'll admit it. At first I thought this book was pure rubbish. Delaney was a bitch and to be honest, I started strongly disliking her. She treated people like they were way below her, complained about how everybody was staring and then complained about being invisible. She says: "Watch where you are going, photo-freak", somewhere in the beginning, and I think that that was where I lost all respect for her. To me, she just seemed like a bitch. I've been one of those black-dressed girls who everybody else thought was intimidating, but I swear I was never as bad as she is. Through half of the book she acts as if the whole world is turning around her, thinking about how it's always about everybody else, when they try to say something, labeling everybody, trying to fit everybody into small groups and trying very hard to be unappreciable and scary to everybody, so they'll just leave her alone, because there is absolutely no way that she wants any friends - she is going straight back to Posh's house the second she can.

But then it all turned 360 degrees. And the most fantastic part was - it was not a sudden change. It was a slowly graduating change, and you could actually feel how Delaney slowly became another person. A whole other human being. That was probably one of the most amazing part of this story - the pacing. How it all feels so easy and not forced, and how it gradually builds up. It was small changes, not really things you think about, until there is something big and you stop up and think. Also, the language felt right. Even though I, in the beginning, found it a bit premature and childish, it ended up feeling just right. This novel did not need any elaborate and fantastic words. All it needed was a feeling and I thought that Kathy McCollough most certainly delivered this feeling as the reader struggles throughout the book.

Another thing I was surprised about was how smooth the romance was. It was all small things, not the whole 'zomg, he's super hot and he's starring at me! I'm so in lure <3', but an actual, real, slow builded relationship. The romance is not overwhelming, and most certainly not the main point in this book, it is but a small part, but it was a good part. One that actually made me believe that there may still be hope for romance and YA (if you look away from Unearthly and Trucker. God, I love Trucker. That reminds me that I need to buy Hallowed, but I digress). Also, how it kept my attention, even in the beginning when Delaney was being mean and spiteful. I strongly disliked her, but I still wanted to know what was going to happen, and even though I sometimes did put the book back down, I read it in under half a days time, and I would probably have finished it much sooner if I had not been very much distracted.

This book is definitely a fluffy read. It is not hardcore anything, maybe apart from the hardcore bitching in the beginning, but it is still worth giving it a go. And it is worth trying to give it some time. I almost swore when I started reading it that I was going to end up giving it one or two stars, because Delaney was just so horrible, but it ended up being the first book of the year that I actually wanted to give five stars. So, kudos to the author for making me eat my own thoughts.